Ovulation stimulation drugs that help to get pregnant are divided into three main types: follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH) preparations, HCG preparations and progesterone preparations.
To get pregnant, you need to fulfill three basic conditions:
- the woman has ovulated;
- the sperm fertilized the egg;
- the embryo is securely fixed in the uterus.
- drugs that enhance the production of FSH and LH, which help to get pregnant, stimulate ovulation — the growth of follicles on the ovaries;
- HCG helps the largest follicle to stay large enough and release an egg, which the sperm should fertilize;
- progesterone prepares the inner layer of the uterus to secure the embryo and helps to carry the fetus.
A little theory: the mechanism of ovulation
Ovulation is the release of a mature egg from the ovary. Then the egg is sent through the fallopian tubes into the uterine cavity. This happens, as a rule, in the middle of the cycle, that is, on the 14th-15th day after the onset of menstrual bleeding. Women with a regular cycle, most likely, do not ask the question “Will I be able to get pregnant?”. With a regular cycle, ovulation usually takes place regularly.
If you come to the doctor with the question “Why can’t I get pregnant” or the complaint “I can’t get pregnant for a year“, then most likely you do not ovulate. Women cannot get pregnant without ovulation.
If you are interested in the question “Why can’t I get pregnant?“, you can do an ovulation test. You can buy it at the pharmacy. Consult a doctor if there is no ovulation for several consecutive cycles.
Ovulation may not occur for various reasons: due to hormonal failures, inflammation of the pelvic organs, and so on. If you have not been able to get pregnant for a year because ovulation does not occur, the doctor may prescribe injections and pills that help to get pregnant — stimulating it.
Drugs for ovulation stimulation: Who is shown?
If the question “Why can’t I get pregnant?” is relevant to you, then you need to undergo a checkup. It’s good if your spouse does the same — it would help to establish the cause of infertility.
Ovulation stimulation should be recommended by a doctor after a series of examinations that will give accurate data on the cause of problems with self-conception. The doctor prescribes drugs to stimulate ovulation in cases where:
- The patient had a rare maturation of the egg and its exit from the ovaries;
- The couple has been trying to get pregnant for more than a year to no avail;
- Spouses older than 35-40 years do not get pregnant for 6 months.
At the same time, ovulation stimulation is prohibited in the following cases:
- Partner infertility;
- The presence of inflammation of the appendages, with adnexitis;
- With pathologies of the uterus;
- In case of poor patency of the fallopian tubes.
FSH and LH preparations. The goal is ovulation
Under the action of FSH, follicles begin to grow on the ovary — “sacs” on the surface of the ovary, in which one egg cell matures. To stimulate the growth of follicles, such drugs are most often prescribed to help get pregnant:
- Drugs that contain Clomiphene;
Drugs that help to get pregnant are selected individually, depending on the results of tests and ultrasound examination. In this article we describe the most famous, but not all existing drugs.