Most often, doctors prescribe this medication to treat female infertility of almost any origin. It is really very effective if your goal is conception. However, let us talk about other, atypical Clomid uses. But first, let’s recall the main reasons to consult a doctor for a prescription for this antiestrogen. First of all, specialists prescribe this drug for the treatment of infertility in women of almost any age. It stimulates ovulation, and, if used correctly, quickly leads to a long-awaited pregnancy.
Prescription for amenorrhea and disease variations
We cannot say these are atypical Clomid uses. Actually, the absence of menstruation or too rare bleeding can lead to difficulties in conception.
Amenorrhea, or oligomenorrhea, manifests itself as infrequent and usually irregular menstrual bleeding. A woman may menstruate every 40 days or even less often, sometimes up to once a year. We have no idea how Joanne Rowling would call it.
Young girls and older women, especially in the period before menopause, can complain about this disease. Most often, doctors diagnose one of two forms of oligomenorrhea – primary (due to congenital defects of the reproductive system, during puberty) and secondary (often due to stress or abortions, at an older age).
A disease can lead to infertility, but in itself causes a lot of trouble, too. For example, a woman may complain of weight gain, the appearance of “unnecessary” hair on the body, and severe acne. In any case, better consult a physician and pass necessary medical exams as soon as possible. Remind your doctor of atypical Clomid uses.
Use of the drug for Stein-Leventhal syndrome (polycystic ovary syndrome)
Doctors often prescribe this remedy for violation of ovarian function, or PCOS, or Stein-Leventhal syndrome. How to understand that you may be suffering from this syndrome?
Here are the main symptoms:
- Irregular, rare menstruation or the complete absence of ovulation and, accordingly, menstrual bleeding.
- Too heavy, or vice versa, or painful menstruation.
- Diagnosed or suspected infertility.
- An increased level of androgens in the blood, which is easy to notice not only by the hormone testing, but also by the signs of masculinization. Particularly, a woman can notice that the hair on the head falls out, and on the body, on the contrary, grows like in men. In addition, sometimes the voice changes, the clitoris enlargers, the skin condition worsens (acne, wrinkles, stretch marks). Moreover, often, sex drive increases dramatically. Also, mind the so-called male-pattern obesity, when fat concentrates in the abdomen.
- Chronic pain in the lower abdomen or lower back.
- Long periods with symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (pain, swelling, sudden mood swings, irritability).
- Multiple ovarian cysts, a noticeable increase in ovarian size, endometrium changes. A woman should pass a number of medical tests to identify these symptoms.
- Changing parameters of blood tests. Without a visit to a specialist, a patient may never know about it. Therefore, we recommend paying attention to the symptoms mentioned above. If you suspect PCOS, better see a doctor and start treatment ASAP.
Other atypical Clomid uses – not only in women but also in men
Here we list the most amazing ways to successfully use the drug for the treatment of various diseases and for other purposes:
- Galactorrhea or Chiari-Frommel syndrome (abnormal production of breast milk, not associated with feeding). You might be surprised, but this unpleasant condition happens both in women and in men. If the disease is not caused by cancer, a doctor may prescribe Clomid.
- Oligospermia, or oligozoospermia, or just low sperm count, which most often leads to infertility in men. However, with proper treatment, a patient has great chances of recovery and becoming a dad.
- The atypical Clomid uses include the fight against uterine bleeding. Please mind that in this case you cannot self-medicate. Consult a specialist and take pills under medical control.
- In addition, bodybuilders and some other athletes love this medicine. Due to its properties, the substance eliminates the so-called “aromatization” – side effects from taking anabolic steroids. In other words, the drug corrects the level of estrogen in the male body, preventing “feminization”.